Sunday, October 16, 2011

THE HAMMOCK OF LIFE (another repost)

Our friend Florance giving it a try
Ciejay has pretty well figured it out

And me,I am a master hammocker

Seven years ago, when I was living in America , I ended up in the emergency room one evening with what I thought was a heart attack, fortunately it was not.After a overnite stay the Dr. came in to discharge me and to give me some instructions about my health and my life style and, how to prevent a real heart attack, "this time it was just a warning sign" he said, and you have a severe case of stress related heart problems, being brought on by your work habits and lifestyle. My suggestion is that you make a change at once and get all this under control. Well I gave it a try for a week and then went back to my old habits , and would'nt you know it his prediction came true , only this time I needed a triple by-pass to save my life. After the operation and six months of recouping , I felt strong enough to go back to work. Then I meet my Thai wife , Ciejay , and we took a trip to Thailand and at the same time it was time to retire. So, here we are in the LOS and no stress Thailand . with the good weather and , food , and easy living , I feel like a new man, and my body feels like it, and, my kids and wife say I look like a new man too.
The one thing I do remember the Dr. saying was this " Malcolm the best thing you can do for yourself is to take a NAP, every day for at least one hour". AND THEN I SAW IT, the ultimate napping object, and answer to my prayers, the all mighty HAMMOCK.
The hammock is a fabric sling used for sleeping or resting while suspended above ground,it normally consist of one or more cloth panels,or woven network of
twine stretched with ropes between two firm points such as trees or poles.Hammocks were developed by native inhabitants of tropical regions for sleeping or resting.
There is an art and sometimes hard learned lesson to sleeping or resting in a hammock ,one wrong move and you will find yourself on the ground with a sore back or lump on your head, I seem to have mastered this very quickly and as per my Dr.'s advice I force myself to take a Nap every day. Ha Ha. If you have not yet discovered this wonderful invention of the natives in tropical regions , I hope you do soon , it will change you life . If you need help mastering ,and figuring it out come on over about three o 'clock every afternoon and I'll personally show you how it's done . I have a extra hanging nearby for guest.

You'll hear the cry of the obedient expat "Hammock Time." Malcolm



3 comments:

Hoo Don said...

I am glad to read you have finally learned how to relax and catch that extra hour of sleep mid afternoon. No question of doubt, you really do enjoy your new life in Thailand. The new you must also have taken a great weight of worry off Ciejay's mind and enhanced the time you spend together. Your old doctor must be near the top of your Christmas card list.
Hammocks... I've tried a few. We had one under Wilai's mothers house and I never did manage to fall asleep, fell off a few times. The best I ever tried was on White Sands beach, Koh Chang....didn't sleep there either. Every time it swung to my right this bar came into view, had to check it out.

Martin MY said...

Sleep in the afternoon, they all do it here, I'm nagged for not doing it. Glad to see you are into the swing of things there. lol

Never tried a hammock before, looks fun.

I don't need to tell you that health is the one things you have control of, glad to see you are now listening to you doctor.

Malcolm and Ciejay Burgess said...

These are comments from several years ago when I first posted this subject feel free to add your comments to the older ones , I still am a hammock lover and still try to get as much hammock time as possible , BUT after all these years in the Los ,Ciejay's honey-do list keeps getting longer and longer and seems like I never get to the end before she is adding new , so it does cut into my hammock time . I have learned how to sneak in a few winks when she's not looking , ha ha ha .